Versatile and experienced reporter with enthusiasm for covering crime, politics, human rights, social movements, press freedom, sport, business and cultural stories in Mexico and Latin America. Regularly featured in international print and broadcast media, including The Guardian, Al Jazeera, The Independent, VICE News and Sky News. Two years of editorial experience at a specialist business news site and over two years of experience as a staff reporter at an English-language newspaper in Mexico. Bilingual, with a wide range of contacts across different walks of life and experience interviewing politicians, business executives, rebel guerrillas, famous actors and sports stars. Aim to further develop skills and provide immediate and strategic value to international media outlets covering current affairs in Mexico.
- The Guardian (November 2014-) Cover Mexican current affairs, politics and sport for The Guardian, The Observer, Guardian Sport, Cities, and the Global Development Professionals Network.
- Sky News (November 2014-) Appear regularly on air to give live comment and analysis on breaking news stories from Mexico.
- Al Jazeera (December 2013-) Write in-depth stories on Mexican politics, society and current affairs. Also worked as a fixer for an Al Jazeera film crew.
- VICE (October 2014-) Write breaking news stories and in-depth features on Mexico for VICE News. Also cover Mexican soccer, music, cuisine and tech news for VICE Sports, Noisey, Munchies and Motherboard.
- Index on Censorship (2014-) Write features on freedom of expression and media censorship across Mexico and Central America.
- The Independent (September 2014-February 2016) Wrote news and features on Mexican current affairs.
- Freelance Sports Journalist (2012-) Written news, previews, match reports, features, blogs and analysis of Mexican football for The Guardian, VICE Sports, Goal.com, Inside Futbol, Soccer365 and the Huffington Post.
- Latin Correspondent (August 2014-December 2015) Mexican correspondent for new Latin American news site. Wrote weekly stories on Mexican politics and current affairs.
- Nearshore Americas (August 2013-July 2015) Associate editor. Copy edit, manage input from writers and publish online content. Research and write articles, features and white papers on business and technology news.
- Guadalajara Reporter (July 2011-November 2013) Full-time reporter and web editor for Mexico’s biggest English-language weekly newspaper. Wrote news stories and features; researched and formulated ideas for stories; took photographs; uploaded online content and managed social media accounts. Over 400 articles published.
- Global Delivery Report (June 2011-October 2014) Wrote business and technology news and travel/culture stories for a specialist high-tech industry website.
- Globe and Mail, Winnipeg Free Press, CBC Radio (2012) Worked as a fixer, freelance writer and recorded a radio news report for different Canadian media outlets.
- West East (2011) Wrote travel features for Hong Kong-based fashion magazine.
- Pulsamérica, Latino Life, Catch the Lingo (2010-11) Covered Latin American news, travel and culture for specialist websites.
- Warwick Boar, Warwick Sanctuary, Dissident Warwick (2008-11) Active student journalist. Won “Best Travel Writer” in the Boar’s 2010-11 award ceremony.
West Sussex County Times (2008) Internship at Horsham newspaper.
- University of Warwick (2007-11) Bachelor of Arts in “The History, Literature and Culture of the Americas.” First-class honours; among the top 3 students in the year. Modules included history, politics, literature, film and Spanish.
- Universidad de Guadalajara, Mexico (2009-10) Studied Spanish language, Mexican history and politics.
- College of Richard Collyer, Horsham (2005-2007) A Level results: Art & Design (A), English Literature & Language (A), History (A), Maths Statistics (A). Awarded the 2007 Prize for Academic Excellence.
- Forest Boys School, Horsham (2000-05) GCSE results: nine A* grades and four A grades.
- Languages: native English speaker and fluent in Spanish.
- IT: proficient with Macintosh and Windows, including Photoshop, In Design, Microsoft Office; extensive experience in internet research; WordPress blogging and Joopla web development software. Have built up a large social media following.
- Photography: my pictures have been published by The Guardian, Al Jazeera, VICE News and many others.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (+52)13334877324
- Skype: duncan.tucker
- Twitter: @DuncanTucker